Proposed Rules and Policies/Minors
Children/Minors are a consequence of life choices.
These rules are being crafted to protect the THM and the children from harm.
Terms and Definitions:
Minors: Anyone under the age of 16 in the eyes of the DMS.
Parent/Guardian: Someone that is legally responsible for the minor in question.
THM: The Humble Makers makerspace
Points to get across:
- THM is not a day care.
- Children do not have life experience to draw upon to make decisions.
- Children cannot forfeit their right to protection from their parents or vice versa.
- Parents/Guardians are responsible for their children at all times.
- Parents making excuses as to why they cannot follow the rules, how do we stop that
- How do we educate the membership
- Large sign at the front and backdoor?
DANGEROUS THINGS FAQ -----
- Preoccupied maker
# source of fire # laser cutter # cutting torches in metal working # combustible fumes from a reagent
- Area hazards
# proximity to potentially dangerous machinery # gases that won't affect an adult but will overwhelm a child quickly because of lung capacity and also height?
Rules Governing Minors in THM: Children will be broken down into 3 categories based off age group. Areas of the THM will be defined as Committee areas.
Red (0-6 years of age)
- The child will not be allowed behind controlled access doors leading to the Workshop area
- The Child must be within arms length of parent or guardian at all times
- While at the space, the child must wear a Red name tag, that will be provided at the front of THM
Yellow (7-12 years of age)
- While outside the workshop area, the child must remain in the same defined committee area as the Parent or Guardian
- While in the workshop area, the child must remain within arms reach of the parent of guardian
- While at the space, the child must wear a Yellow name tag, that will be provided at the front of THM
Green (13-15 years of age)
- the child must remain in the same defined committee area as the Parent or Guardian
- While at the space, the child must wear a Green name tag, that will be provided at the front of THM
Sticker Rule: The child must wear the appropriate name tag for the age category they belong to at all times. The name tag must have both the Child and Guardian's name clearly written on it.
Age range suggestions: Red: 0-6 Yellow: 7-12 Green: 13-15